Wednesday, July 23, 2008

my strange obsession with dreadlocks...

last night we stayed in and made a huge spagetti dinner. It was nice because we were able to use up all the vegetables in the fridge. we had run out of beer (because of our morning escapades) so we had pasta y agua. today we woke up early to go white water rafting in manuel antonio. I decided not to go on the raft tour, mainly because funds are tight, so I just went along for the ride, hoping to be dropped off at a beach somewhere. We went with our same guide from horseback riding, herman. As we arrived at the rafting place (roughly an hour away) I began to think I had made the wrong decision, as all of the guides were young and attractive males. Particularly, there was this one with impressive dreadlocks, and beautiful eyes...but I digress. Anyway, Herman said I could hang out with the driver and he'd take me where ever I wanted to go. I told him that my plans were to go to the beach and maybe have a 'cervezita' and lunch. I hopped in the van with Roy and he immediately stopped in Quepos. I was a little concerned because we stopped outside of a place clearly marked as a strip club, and he went inside. 2 minutes later, I realized it was actually a store, and he was bringing me a beer. In my head I was thinking 'when I mentioned the cervezita, i meant with lunch in about 3 hours, but I suppose 9 am is just as good as any time.' After all, he did buy it, so it would have been rude to not drink it (much less it would be warm later). Roy and I headed to the beach directly outside the gates of manuel antonio. It was a super nice beach, I got to lay out and I didn't get offered drugs or prostitutes once (which is what happens in jaco at times...). Roy and I talked about life, some how we got on the subject of marriage. He said "but clara, you are young, you need not worry about these things, you are what, 20? 19?" and I said, "no Roy I'm 25" then he said "oh...well, then perhaps you should start looking for a husband, you are behind." After this part in the conversation, he began mentioning that he was single, and divorced, and that I needed a costa rican husband, then he bought me another beer. (don't worry, this was more than an hour after the first one). did i mention roy has a 17 year old son? he's quite older than I but, one must be flattered by the offers of marriage. Anyway, after some more 'charla' we went to get a casado for lunch (the basic fare, rice beans platano, fresh cheese salad..usually meat as well) and then we headed back to the rafting place. When we arrived, I clearly tried to make eyes at the cute dreadlocked guide, but I was distracted to find that one of our group had fallen ill. James ended up not going rafting and instead slept in the office. we left the rafting place, on our way to the tour through manuel antonio (the park) and we stopped at a farmacia to get some rehadrating salts for james. We never actually made it to the park, as there was a small vomiting incident in the streets of quepos, so we as a group decided to head back. trevor also wasn't feeling well, and as I"m always up for a nap, it seemed like a good decision. Everyone's resting at the house now, Trevor and Mairead leave tomorrow, and assuming all is well, maire, james, sean, pat and I will head back down to Manuel Antonio/quepos to stay tomorrow night. After that, my plan is to catch ferry to the Nicoya Peninsula and go to some place called Santa Teresa. However, all of this might change. James has been our driver, so if he isn't well, since I'm the only other person who brought their licsense, my driving abilities might be put to use. here's hoping he's better tomorrow :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever find out who the cute guy with dreadlocks was? Name anything?