Sunday, July 27, 2008
i love montezuma
The next morning, I woke up early and my other new friend hugo suggested that i walk to playa grande. I love it because all distance is measured in how long it takes you to walk, by the beach (not the road) at a relaxed pace. I wanted to make it to this beach because apparently, according to mauricios, it{s an energy vortex. Side note- mauricios and hugo sell jewelry on the streets and were really chill guys, i doubt they ever wear shoes. Anyway, I started walking...but then it got really deserted and the tide was coming up and I really couldn{t feel this energy vortex that he talked about. So, I headed back, and went by a tour office and decided to take a snorkeling tour of tortuga island. I talked with alvaro, the guy at the office for awhile while I waited. His dad worked as the cook at my hostel. When the rest of my tour group arrives (there were 8 of us total) there{s a guy wearing a VT shirt. I mean...of course there is. So we chatted, he graduated in 97 and now lives in minneapolis. There were also 2 chilean guys, a couple from San Francisco, and an italian (because honestly, every boat trip needs a crazy italian in a speedo...yes speedo, he was also wearing a doo rag. very nice guy though, didn{t understand much spanish or english). Anyway, we snorkeled for a bit, then made our way to the island. The chileans and I (they were both called Ignacio) went to search for the legendary wild pig of the island. It was sleeping under a picnic table. I think it was actually a boar, but I don{t know that word in spanish. One of the chileans, Ignacio (ha...) studied abroad at UCSB. small world. After lunch on the island, we played a very competitive couple of beach volleyball games. my team lost both times, and i switched teams, so I think it might be my fault. Anyway, we went back to snorkel again and got back to montezuma around 4. Both internet places were shut down, so I wasn{t sure how I was going to book my transfer to san jose. While contemplating this matter, I ran into a guy from the other boat tour that played volleyball with us. He{s that guy that gets way to competitive in casual sports, and calls you on every rule. It{s just beach volley ball, and were not in the olympics. Turns out he lives in LA and is a producer, with a dream to be an independent film producer. shocking. that sounds like 99 percent of LA. Anyway, it was a fun chat, but after awhile, he was bringing me down and I went to go visit my street vendor friends. I also scheduled a transfer with a tour co to leave at 10:30. I went to get pizza for dinner and ran into the ignacios. We had dinner and were walking to go to a bar when we ran into their friends from manuel antonio, Tish and Sophie. Their british, or at least tish is, sophie is part belgium, grew up in California, but her dad lives in london. They go to school in edinborough. I started to feel a bit 5th wheelish, but I decided to ignore those feelings, and we ended up having a great time that night. Sophie and Tish were staying at my hostel as well, so we went there to hang out before going to the only venue in town. While there, another group staying there and hanging out asked me to take a picture, and of course, they were irish. Thus, I yelled my {you are lovely} in irish at them and then went through all my other new vocabulary. They were from outside of dublin, and were impressed at my knowledge (however sparse it may be about the irish language). I also should mention this crazy guy that sleeps on a mattress in the sand outside the hostel. He walks around with bandages on his hands and a bottle of cacique in the other, yelling at people. We saw him a lot that night. He also went to chicos, and when we were there, standing in the street outside he pointed at me and yelled: mujer, quien te vas a querer y no sabes hacer un huevo frito. {woman, who is going to love you if you don{t know how to make a fried egg] quite prophetic, actually. Anyway, chicos was fun, but I headed back before the rest of the group and ended up playing euchre with some of the irish lads, and some canadians. Later, the chileans and brits returned with some austrailians and told me that i missed a fight between some other austrailian girls and costa rican guys in the street when the bar closed. It was then that I went to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment