Friday, July 18, 2008
mighty jungle challenge...
so the alarm keeps going off. I forgot to mention that yesterday. The 3 houses have a sweet alarm system, because even though we are not in the most dangerous of areas, it's quite sketchy in this town at night. I think because it is so dark. Therefore, I'm quite glad to turn the alarm on and be around tall irishmen. Anyway, when the alarm goes off, Maire and I have a system all sorted out. Last night, for example, it went off about midnight. It's quite loud, but maire sleeps with ear plugs (perhaps I snore...) and so after a bit, I nudge her, then she gets up to turn it off with the code, and I wait by the phone for the alarm company to call. When they call, I have to decipher their fast spanish- asking about emergencias and what not, and then tell them my name (maire's name) and give them the code. I think years from now when awaken by a phone in the middle of the night, I will say 'si, soy Maire y la contrasena es...' The first time it went off, it was our fault, but who knows what set it off last night. Before all of this however, we went to a lovely dinner at a place called Lemonzest. It was very gourmet, and of course, I sampled their mojitos. It was also kind of expensive...but, it's vacation, and their were 9 of us eating. Today, we woke up early and headed off for a jungle adventure. We decided to take a canopy tour, and then realized that for 7 dollars extra, we could take the 'jungle adventure challange.' Clearly, we had to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. We broke up into teams, boys against girls. To even it out, a guide was on the girls team, we called ourselves the scorpians. The mighty scorpians won the first two challenges, imagine team building exercises where you have to figure out how to get people across a river and the like. It was actually quite fun, even though I felt like we were 12. Unfortunetly, the boys beat us in the last 2 events, and ended up winning the entire challenge. We were crushed, but we got over quite fast as we had the canopy tour to experience. A bunch of ziplines, tarzan swings and belaying later, we were spent, and our loss meant nothing...except that the boys won tee shirts. The guides were nice, they thought I was mexican, or had atleast studied there (they were correct) and they were impressed with my mexican street slang. I admit, it is an impressive vocabulary. We might hang out with the guides later, one was perhaps hitting on me, but unfortunetly, it wasn't the cute boy one, but instead the girl guide that joined our team. I'm hoping she just liked me because I spoke spanish...I guess we'll find out tonight. Anyway, we just had lunch, and I'm about to step out for a run. Happy friday. (and just so you know, 'craic' pronounced 'crack' means fun in irish...I'm pretty much a craic addict now).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment