Sunday, July 27, 2008
j crew models are not as friendly as you would think...not that they are really models...
We took as much advantage as we could of the buffet breakfast for which we paid extra. Then, my interbus transfer arrived and i had to leave the group, sad, but I think we{ll all be ok :) I talked to the driver the entire way, as I was the only passenger and we discussed politics and immigration (topics I{m not too versed in, but was happy to share my opinion). We also talked about the drug problem in costa rica and how things were different when we were younger, much simpler. Which is strange because he was probably 40 years older than me, so maybe I just look at the past with rose colored glasses. Anyway, I arrived at Playa Herradura and had 2 hours to wait at the king tours office. Luckily, the office was on the beach and there were comfy chairs and entertaining company: daniel, sapotillo, and pancho. We basically sat around and yelled at people who passed by (this seems to be a national passtime) I told them that I{d love to work for them if this was what the job entailed. As it was july 25th, it was a national holiday in costa rica (the annexation of guanacoste I think...) Anyway, they taught me about some traditional dress and behaviors. One of these is call [bomba] and it{s a type of lyrical fight- similar to rap wars. Essentially, what happens is that you{re having fun dancing at a party and someone yells {bomba!{ and the person it{s directed to has to come up with a rhyme, then the next person has to respond in a rhyme and the winner is the one who is able to keep going. Thus, we began to yell bombas at people, I think i need a little practice, but I could be good one day...maybe. Then we went in a boat and visited all the other boats and gave them supplies (seriously, at this point i wanted to remain in herradura and hang out with my new friends yelling at people, rapping and delivering stuff to boats) but all good things come to an end and they brought me to my transfer. Once on the transfer, we worked out way back to shore to pick up the other people for the water taxi. From a distance, I could already breath the euroness exuding from the four lads waiting on shore. First, they all had rather floppy like hair and were wearing neon colored aviators, and other like stylish glasses that you{d buy at american apparel or h and m. Then, one of the guys was wearing a bright neon [frankie says relax] tee shirt. The other guy was wearing (also in neon) a low v neck tee shirt and they were carrying surf boards and a guitar. I got kind of exciting, thinking that these could be my new montezuma friends. They loaded the boat and then I got more excited to see that they were basically 4 j crew models...(ok...only 2 would have been j crew models, the others could have been model assistants or the like, either way, the ratio was in my favor). I asked them where they were from and they were from Holland. The boat was really loud and bumpy, so we didn{t get much of a chance to talk, but I admired their hair which ranged from blond cherub curls to a raven black almost euro mullet. When we got off the boat, I tried to push the fact that I was a girl traveling alone and it would be nice to have some people to hang out with, but they weren{t too friendly. actually quite the opposite. Anyway, booked with the first hostel I saw, an expensive 10 dollars a night and went off to explore. Right away I loved montezuma, I ate at an organic veg restaurant and had the most refreshing mint lemonade ever. I ran into the dutch guys again during my explorations, they were carrying cases of beer and as I said hi they kind of ignored me. It{s ok, I didn{t want to hang out with them any way...pah. While I was laying on the beach outside my hostel, a couple of times random guys would come up to say hello, ask my name and see what i was up to that night (which is normal in latin american countries). Anyway, I was kind of caught off guard each time because they kept mentioning [vas a salir esta noche?,] and i{d say [si, pero no se donde] and they{d say [chicos, para bailar] and I was constantly confused because each time it was a guy telling me to go out, so that i{d find chicos to bailar with. I mean, did I look that desperate sitting alone reading on the beach? only later did i discover that there is only one place to go in town and it{s called chicos...Anyway, I went to dinner by myself, it was pretty delicious, the waiter, coco would occassionally sit down with me to keep me company. That is until matt from canada asked if he could sit with me because I looked really sad and lonely as if i was waiting for someone that was never going to show up. He was on an adventure tour biking, kayaking and rafting across costa rica. Later his group of 5 people and a guide adopted me and I hung out with them the rest of the night. They were all probably between 35 and 50, but sure could dance when we got to chicos later that night. I made the short hop skip and a jump to my hostel, and ended up chatting for another few hours with Mauricio who is from colombia, but has been traveling through south and central america for the last 14 years...then, it was bed time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment