Monday, June 11, 2007

tortillas, oil, and shootings...oh my

I'm here in Mexico...and thus far, it has been an interesting trip. This may be a long entry, so read at your leisure. First, I need to explain the trip here. Luckily, I was with the group that arrived on time. We got to Mexico City at 12ish without problems. However, there was a group of 11 students flying from dulles that had their plane diverted and delayed many times. So, we spent 6 hours in the airport waiting. Airports are easy places to spend money on food. They are also easy places to lock yourself in the bathroom. I had the luck of getting the stall with the stuck lock, as soon as it closed, I knew I was in trouble. I looked at the 10 inch space under the door (not only could I probably not fit, it's the floor of a public restroom) I started to think about climbing over, but as the cleaning lady was there, and another person in the stall next to mine, I didn't want to look like the crazy gringa who got stuck in the bathroom. So, I waited....thinking. Finally I put one foot on the comode and one foot on the paper dispenser and attempted my escape. However...it became apparent that this could be dangerous and/or crazy looking. So, I came up with a brilliant idea (take time to imagine this...) I put my back against the pliable wall and my feet against the secure one (both feet)...I was suspended in the air, and with one great pull, I undid the stuck lock and tumbled out of the bathroom...quite a sight. So, after the six hour wait, we took at 5.5 hour drive to Xalapa, arriving at 1am. I didn't go to sleep until 3 am (keeping in mind I woke up at 4 am that day to catch the plane...). The next day we went on a tour of the city and met our "cultural assistants" (ie, students that get paid to be our friends). However, out of the whole group, I was the only person who's 'friend' didn't show up. I learned a new word "mal tercio" meaning- third wheel. Anyway, It was a fun day, at night we went to a bar and I realized that I'm 5-6 years older than everyone on the trip and I became for some reason, the "purse holder" on the couch in the corner. If only all the young people knew how much fun I really am...Yesterday we went on a picnic up a mountain and got caught in a two hour down pour. I was cold...I was wearing running clothes. Our lunch for this picnic was sandwiches. Mine had 1 cup of mayo, an avocado, ham (jamon), cheese, and two sliced up hotdogs... All the food I have been fed for every meal has been fried, cheesy and bread/tortilla like. Also lots of ham. The madre talks about being on the adkins diet while eating tortillas and bread. She's very nice. She has a 10 year old son (Carlitos) and a 16 year old daughter (Samy). Samy has this novio, Ricardo (also 16). I like Ricardo, he gave me his sweatshirt during the rainstorm. Anyway, I don't have class until tomorrow at 6. I'm spending my time at a cafe across from the school people watching and reading emails. It's just like blacksburg, but the wireless internet works better than bollos. I may go join "gym gold" (ie, Gold's Gym) because it's near my house and I do need to be able to fit into Erin's bridesmaid dress...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Claire, sounds like your having quite the adventure.

Unknown said...

Claire, I am seriously laughing out loud reading this.... hope you are having a great time :) What is this about shootings?